Sunday, January 17, 2010

Surgery

I suppose surgery is blog-worthy material?? Besides, I'm really bored and need something to do while I have a few minutes of non-drowsiness. :)
I guess I will start at the beginning, since what I had was pretty rare.

Jaden was born in Utah via c-section. Sometimes when a c-section is performed, the endometrial cells can migrate and start growing other places. I remember my c-section incision never really felt better.

When Jaden was 2, I could feel painful bumps on my abdomen, about 2 inches above my incision. I went back to the same dr. and he said I had endometriosis of the abdominal wall caused from the c-section. This happens in like 0.04-0.3% of c-sections. LUCKY ME!!! He said he could remove it, or it could be removed at the next c-section, so in the meantime he treated it with continuous birth control pills.

It came time for KynnLee girl in Kentucky and I had a hard time finding a good doctor. Due to many reasons, I had switched doctors halfway through my pregnancy. I kept telling the new doc about my condition and she would either write me off, or would say "if I see anything while I'm in there, I will take it out". I trusted that she heard me and would take care of it.

Well, she didn't. I know it's really rare and hard to diagnose, but it had already been diagnosed FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!! There were 3 Dr.s in that office, and one of them said that he'd never seen it, but had only heard about it in Med school. I'm gathering that they just didn't know how to diagnose it. All she had to do was listen to me and do a little research. I had no problem finding out all kinds of info. on the internet.
Trevor had been bugging me forever to find a Dr. here in Cleveland to get it taken care of. It's extremely painful and hadn't been treated since I had KynnLee. Besides, he got tired of me complaining about it and making him feel the bumps. :) After the idiot that delivered KynnLee, I was very skeptical on trusting anybody.

I finally found one at Cleveland Clinic. There's lots and lots of OB/GYN's, but I did my homework dog-gonnit! I found Dr. Falcone who is also the OB/GYN Department Chair, and something-or-other with the Chief of Staff. I needed someone who was a good surgeon too, and he sounded good to me!! :)

He knew exactly what I had. He had seen it and treated it in his office. He immediately ordered a CT and an ultrasound. There it was, bright as day! Don't need any medical background to see that!!!


Do you see it? I will give you a clue, it's on my ab muscles.


My oblique muscle to be exact.

Hard to believe that tiny thing was causing me all that pain and misery.


Ok, now that I'm totally embarrassed that you all have seen my insides... fat layers, butt muscles, etc. Those look like tough abs and toned glutes, right??? Riiight.... Actually I've been busting my butt in the gym hoping it will help with recovery.
I was very impressed with not just the doctor, but his office personnel, nurses, etc. He even gave me a card with his email, phone, his nurse practitioner's phone, etc. And they were so good to answer phone calls and email!!

The first available date for surgery was during Trevor's finals, and another date that was kinda sketchy. They encouraged me to schedule it when it was convenient for us.

I had like 5 pre-op appointments a week before surgery. I met with an internal medicine dr., anesthesia, his nurse practitioner (who was WONDERFUL!), admitting, etc. and the actual Doctor. They were pretty thorough. They went over the whole procedure, which I admit I was a little more freaked out after that. I wish they would have left out the part with the breathing tube. She (the NP) said that I would be sedated so deeply that I would need a breathing tube that would breathe for me. FREAKY!!

Trevor made fun of me because I made sure to give myself a manicure and pedicure, color my hair, and tint my eyelashes before surgery. And I did it all at my in-home salon ;). Hey, when you look good, you feel good!! I was just trying to help myself feel good! :) The funny thing is that I was telling Micalla that Trev made fun of me for painting my toes and she said, "Oh yeah, before I have surgery I make sure to paint my toes and nails, get my hair done, and tint my eyelashes". HA HA HA HA!!! Great minds think alike!!! I thought that was awesome!


And I would like to rub in Trevor's face that all the nurses and doctors liked my cute toes! Funny story... pre-op nurses said something about my cute toes. I told them that I used to dance and I had to take good care of my feet and I kinda had a fetish ever since.

One of them looks at me and says "You made good money then, huh?"

"What?"

"I bet you made good money being a dancer"

"Uh, no just danced like in high school. I was a teacher too but that doesn't pay well."

.... she thought I was a STRIP dancer!!!! LOL!!!

The other nurse gave her crap for having her mind in the gutter then she told me "Hey, look at it this way, you've had 2 kids and she still thought you were hot enough to be a strip dancer!"

I told them maybe I should take up strip dancing to put Trevor through school!! HA HA HA!!!

I was glad they were making me laugh because I was pretty freaked out. And they took Trevor away from me.

So they get the IV started, send Trevor away, and take me to this strange, dark, creepy triage waiting or something.

Then all these cute ladies bring me to the OR and make sure I'm ok. I can't believe how many doctors were in there, I thought a few of them were nurses, but they were residents. The anesthesiologist was a lady, there was a nurse anesthetist, a nurse anesthetist student, 2 resident doctors, 1 chief resident, the actual attending doctor, and who knows who else was in there. But they all liked my toes (TREVOR!!!) and I had to tell them that my cute husband is going to be a foot doctor so I have to have cute feet. :) They thought that was funny. Then the super cute nurse anesthetist student put a gas mask on me and told me to breathe deeply....

I ended up staying overnight. I wasn't thrilled about it, but to be honest I would have been miserable at home. I had the compression sequentials on my legs all night, kind of felt like a mini massage. And I was on this really cool bed that had air pockets all over, and about every minute an air pocket would go up, then move to a different one. It was so comfy. It helped prevent bed sores. It also made it so I wouldn't be stiff staying in the same position. I need one of those at home.

One of the residents came and saw me late that night. 2 more that were in the surgery came in the morning, and Dr. Falcone even came in the morning... a Saturday morning!! Impressive! Random people would tell me that Dr. Falcone is a VERY good doctor. The NP, the lady that checked me in at the surgery ctr, the pre-op nurses, etc. (let me just tell you that the dr. that delivered KynnLee left the OR before I was sewn up, and I didn't see her again until my 2 WEEK appt! That's right! She didn't even see me in the hospital!) They all seemed a bit impressed that I had been up and walking a bit. Hey, I survived 2 c-sections, I can handle it!

Can't wait for the swelling to go down. I kinda dig incisions, I want to look at them but they are all steri-stripped. I have 4 incisions, my c-section incision, 2 small ones on the sides, and a bit bigger (super sore) one in my bellybutton. I better not have an ugly bellybutton after this. That's all I've got going for me. I managed to have a stretch-mark-free belly after 2 pregnancies, but I can't say the same for my hips and thighs. :(

6 comments:

Dina said...

lol...Karie, you make me laugh sooo hard! I hope you are feeling better soon! Let me know if you need anything!

Lisa said...

Having surgery just sucks, but this is a great story. I had a good laugh. Hope you're recovering ok, and you are pain free after this is all said and done.

Hugs,
Lisa

The Flitton's said...

I'm sorry you had to have surgery, but your story was great and made me laugh. I love the pedicure and having your hair done. I miss those days. I hope you get feeling better soon.

Rachel Holloway said...

You're too funny! Glad you found a great doctor and had a good experience...despite the circumstances! :)

GET FEELING BETTER SOON! And let us know if you need anything!

Moore Fun said...

Hilarious story about your toes and the nurse thinking you were a stripper! Jealous you don't have stretch marks! Hope you get feeling better soon! Glad everything went well in surgery.

Colleen said...

What a surgery. I'm glad that you are doing better and that you got things taken care of. Your Dr. did sound awesome!! Just reading your blog makes me miss you and hanging out!! Love ya!