Sunday, November 16, 2008

Grandma Myrtle Hellewell


November 14, 1923-November 3, 2008

We have many memories of Grandma Myrtle and will miss her dearly. Here's the memories of Grandma that I shared at her funeral...

"The morning after Grandma died, I came in the house with some mail and there was a letter from my mom and I said 'Jaden, look what came in the mail today...' and Jaden just lit up and said 'Is it a singing card from Grandma Myrtle?!?!'. We will miss her cards, love dollars, raspberry jam, and rolls. When I was a kid, grandma would make some dough and split it up between the grandkids and let us make cinnamon rolls. She always thought my cinnamon rolls were the best because I was her favorite 'turkin-goose'.

I also have to share a smidget of Tanya's...
"Just to tell you how good her raspberry jam is, I was getting the kids ready for school and got out a new jar of jam. After I took Rylee out to catch the bus and came back in and there was only a little left in the jar. I was asking Nikyla where all the jam spilled and she said 'it didn't spill, Rhody drank it!'"

We will miss the weekly cards and love dollars in the mail from grandma, in fact, we received a card from her the day she died and two days after. We always had to laugh when the spelling of the kids' names varied. She did, however, get KynnLee's name right on the last few cards. I just had to set her straight when she kept calling her Kylee. I guess when you're sending cards to all your grandkids and great-grandkids that often it might get a little confusing. She always included Phoebe in the cards too, she would cut a dog out of a magazine and paste it into our card. Grandma loved Phoebe, but for whatever reason, Phoebe would always sit and bark at her.

I was able to bring a singing card home for Jaden (since only me and KynnLee went)and he was so excited. He taped it up on the wall right outside his bedroom and said it was his doorbell. We had to open the card to "ring the doorbell" before we could go in his room....



All the girls got to have one of Grandma's neclaces and we all wore them to the funeral. KynnLee was the only one that didn't wear hers, but I let her play with it. I thought it was so sweet that little tiny Maycee wore hers the whole time too and loved it!


We love you and miss you grandma!!

1 comments:

The Flitton's said...

Sorry for your loss. She sounds like she was an incredible woman. I'm glad you were able to make it home to her funeral. Hope all is well for you.